SystemRescueCd is a Linux system rescue disk available as a bootable CD-ROM or USB stick for administrating or repairing your system and data after a crash. It aims to provide an easy way to carry out admin tasks on your computer, such as creating and editing the hard disk partitions. It comes with a lot of linux software such as system tools (parted, partimage, fstools, …) and basic tools (editors, midnight commander, network tools). It requires no installation. It can be used on linux servers, linux desktops or windows boxes. The kernel supports the important file systems (ext2/ext3/ext4, reiserfs, reiser4, btrfs, xfs, jfs, vfat, ntfs, iso9660), as well as network filesystems (samba and nfs).
– A recent Linux kernel, that supports most important file systems, and the most important hardware. Supported file systems include: Ext2/Ext3, Reiserfs, Reiser4, Fat16/Fat32, XFS, JFS, NTFS, and others. The kernel supports NFS and Samba.
– Graphical partition tools, that aim to be free partition-magic clones for Linux. You can use GParted.
– Most important console system tools for Linux. Of course, you have GNU Parted (partition editor), Partimage (drive image clone) for backing up partitions to an image file, File system tools (e2fsprogs for ext2/ext3, reiserfsprogs for ReiserFS, reiser4progs for reiser4, xfsprogs for XFS, jfsutils for JFS, dosfstools for FAT, NtfsProgs for NTFS). You can use dump/restore for backing up an ext2/ext3 partition.
– Ntfs-3g (Ntfs driver third generation) provides a full read-write support for NTFS partitions from Linux.
– Clam-AntiVirus. This is a free AntiVirus software.
– Usual tools for Linux users: tar/gzip/bzip2 for archiving files. The same tools for Windows users: zip/unzip, rar/unrar, p7zip are provided. This means that you are able to backup/restore your windows data. We have added DAR (Disk Archiver). This is a program like tar, but more powerful.
– Midnight-Commander (type “mc” on the console command line) is a free Norton Commander clone for Linux. With mc, it’s easy to browse, copy, move, edit all files on your computer. If you don’t know all the linux shell commands well, you can start with mc.
– You can use lynx or links. Both are lightweight web browsers. Under FrameBuffer mode, you can pass parameters to the command line of the links program. It will allow you to enable the graphical mode. It would show images, and you get a nice interface.
– Of course, editors are important when you have problems. Nano (easy editor),vim (vi improved) and qemacs (emacs clone) are provided for the text mode.
– The X.Org / Xvesa graphical environments and the WindowMaker window manager. It allows you to use graphical programs such as GParted, editors (gvim and leafpad), and Firefox-2.0 (you may need help from internet).
Home Page – http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage